And so ends another conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It wasn’t any conference, it was THE annual conference where twelve apostles of Jesus Christ, along with the prophet and his counselors spoke.
Held on the busiest non-holiday weekend each year, General Conference is not to be missed. I know others don’t know what they are missing. Yet, I wonder how they manage to make it six months without such a renewal of faith.
Some of the things I came away from conference with…
- You can love the sinner without condoning their sin. Elder Renlund
- We are all part of God’s choir. Elder Holland
- My childhood home, Pocatello, Idaho, is getting a temple!
- Saratoga Springs, Utah, where some of my children and their families live is getting a temple!
- Because of the troubled world we live in, a testimony of the Priesthood, the Book of Mormon, and Jesus Christ will help protect us. President Monson
Those are just the ones from the top of my head.
Others tried to pull me in other directions. For the past several years, the annual conference of my trade guild was held on General Conference weekend. Aside from being a weekend that MANY organizations try to hold events, nothing can compete with General Conference. I had two other events scheduled for this same weekend. While it was a no-brainer regarding my choice to attend General Conference, I’m saddened that my voice isn’t strong enough to get those other organizations to choose other weekends for their events.
I was invited to join a board. Right now, I’m stretched too thin being President of Finger Lakes Professional Photographers, Vice-President of the Canal Connection Chamber of Commerce, AND running my own business, not to mention my church assignments. As a result I declined.
In the event this invitation comes up again, my response will be thusly:
- Your board meetings are on the Sabbath Day. I will not defile the Sabbath to attend.
- The annual conference is held during my church’s Annual General Conference. Aside from many other conflicts on that weekend, I need assurance that the conference will be moved to another weekend. In addition the conference should not be held on the Sabbath day.
- If both of those conditions are met, I will consider the position.
Dinner with the Missionaries
We have three elders in our ward. All three joined us for dinner tonight. I made chicken with a mushroom gravy, rice pilaf, baked sweet potatoes and a lemon raspberry cheesecake.