The topic of pride makes for an interesting Sunday School lesson. You hear people arguing both sides: There is good pride. There is bad pride. And, I think, “Oh my.”
I saw on a friend’s timeline a new avatar with a “pride” theme. My first impression was, there is no pride in sin. Immediately I caught myself mid thought. Pride is sin.
A recent conference talk, Elder Uchtdorf expounded on this. Here are some quotes from that talk…
- Pride is a switch that turns off priesthood power.
- Pride Is the Sin of Self-Elevation.
- Pride is sinful, as President Benson so memorably taught, because it breeds hatred or hostility and places us in opposition to God and our fellowmen.
- In a sense, pride is the original sin, for before the foundations of this earth, pride felled Lucifer, a son of the morning “who was in authority in the presence of God.”
- Pride is a deadly cancer. It is a gateway sin that leads to a host of other human weaknesses. In fact, it could be said that every other sin is, in essence, a manifestation of pride.
- Pride is the great stumbling block to Zion.
President Benson also gave a talk titled, “Beware of Pride“. I’ll let you click the link to read it. He quotes the Doctrine and Covenants where it says, “Beware of pride, lest ye become as the Nephites of old.” (D&C 38:39.)
I think we are all guilty of it to one degree or another. When we become boastful of our accomplishments, we’re guilty of that sin. However, we compound it when we’re proud of our sins and iniquities.
Here’s an example…
We say, “I’m proud to be an American!” But, are we so prideful that we persecute immigrants to our country?
That examples was a little subtle. Some aren’t, such as, “gay pride”. Just the phrase alone typifies every point of President Uchtdorf’s talk. Perhaps as member’s of the church we should have “gay empathy”. Do people walk around with signs saying, “adulterer pride”, or “burglar pride”, or “murderer pride”?
Wickedness never was happiness. –Alma 41:10
We live in troubled times. I’m sad that I even feel compelled to write this. Perhaps some day one of my grandchildren will read this and it will help them understand. Pride is a bad thing. It is a bad trait to possess. Be humble.
And remember what presidents Uchtdorf and Benson, as well as the scriptures, say about pride.