My studio is located here at the Beckwith Estate. Aside from offering rooms to travelers (note, we are not a B&B – we simply rent rooms in the mansion), I also operate a photography studio.
When weddings come along, there is a lot of preparation that goes on behind the scene. I clean my lenses, camera sensors, charge batteries, reformat flash memory cards, organize my camera bag, and more. I often find it funny when someone says, “Why so much to photograph a wedding?” What they don’t see is for every hour I’m out photographing, behind the scenes I may work an additional 1-2 hours before and after the wedding.
As I tell people, being a full-time studio owner equates to about 10% behind the camera, and the other 90% is other stuff like marketing, bookkeeping, sales, etc. If I wanted to be taking pictures 100% of the time, I would have to go on welfare.
My cousins left this morning. They are heading to Kirtland, Ohio. It was sure nice to see them.
On my mom’s side, there was a generation split. Both my grandparents were married previously, and the children from their first marriage had children older than me. Of the children shared by my grandparents, I was the eldest. It kind of went like this….
Brent & Mark (me and my brother)
Jeff & John & Becky (cousins from my mom’s sister Shirley)
Todd & Eric (cousins from my mom’s brother Allen)
Yup, there were these pairs of boys. It was like me, Jeff and Todd, and then Mark, John and Eric. (Becky came along later and was younger than all the boys.)
My grandparents left a good legacy. All us boys served missions, as did our grandpa, and Uncle Allen. We’re now just starting to come in to the 4th generation of missionary age children. I believe my daughter Rebecca might have been the first in generation 4. (Cousins: You’re welcome to comment. It would be nice to hear who all has served missions and where.)
Of the rest of my grandparent’s children, my grandpa’s daughter Gwen had several children, but they were closer to my mom’s age. It was their children who are closer to my age. My cousin Keith’s kids were the one’s we played with, as Keith and his siblings were my mom’s age and OLDER!
On grandma’s side, there was Lorna and Virginia. Their kids were about older, and when I was little, I felt like they were a lot older. They were teenagers when I was a kid, and to a kid, that seems really old. My cousin Barbara watched (babysat) Mark and me when our parents would do things. The other kids, Ann and Allen (Lorna), and Frank and Greg (Virginia) seemed soooo much older when I was kid.
I have no doubt that Grandma and Grandpa K are smiling down upon us.